Thursday, October 24, 2013

Scary Dollies: WTF? Graffiti? Misogyny? Doll Fetish?

OK, so I find a lot of strange things in my RVA ramblings, and these images are some of the strangest. I took the doll-mobile picture about a year ago, and in the past month I took a picture of the single china-faced doll hanging on a bench. 

Do these "count" as graffiti? The doll-mobile seems potentially misogynist, but hard to take seriously - harder still to interpret. 
If not anti-woman, perhaps a critique of the eating disorders partially inspired by impossible doll physiques

I found these pseudo-barbie dolls hanging on a branch underneath the Nickel Bridge, complete with a litter of missing limbs below them.




I found the doll below more recently, hanging from a bench right next to the Old Pumphouse in Byrd Park. Unlike the pseudo-barbies, this doll seemed less of an "installation" as the placement of some kind of sentinel to watch over the Pumphouse....who knows? She was a creepy little thing who disappeared the next day. 

Watch out for stray dollies!



I'm watching you!

No comments:

Post a Comment